Winning essay 2014-15
Applications must be emailed/postmarked by November 30, 2015 (the Monday after Thanksgiving)
For complete details, choose your preferred format and click on the following links…
Word – Scholarship Application Form, Word Version
Essay Background Information:
The theme for the 2016 Show-Me SWCS Scholarship is “Balancing Economics, Conservation and Adaptive Management in a Changing World”.
“Adaptive management incorporates research into conservation methods. Specifically, it is the integration of design, management, and monitoring to systematically test assumptions in order to adapt and learn from experiences in a given site.”
– quoted from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Through your essay, we want you to explore an example of a natural resource issue that is being addressed through research, design, management and monitoring.
Please select an organization’s evaluation study or action plan, and explain its mission, research, management and monitoring results. We encourage you to examine your own topic of interest, or one listed below.
- The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation study of coral reef habitat and species conservation
- The Ocean Conservancy evaluated overfishing in domestic fisheries
- The Asian Rhino and Elephant Action Strategy Program
- Wildlife protection through State Wildlife Action Plans in 2008
- Missouri’s Forest Resource Assessment and Strategy by the Missouri Department of Conservation in 2010
- Coastal protection and restoration in the Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration technical report of 2009
- Confronting climate change by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife in 2010
- Edge of Field monitoring as part of the Natural Resource Conservation Service’s Environmental Quality Incentives Program
Scholarship applications must include a 3 to 5-page essay (please include sources).
Applications should be sent to
7005 SE Ketchem Rd
Cameron, MO 64429
Applications must be emailed or postmarked by November 30, 2015 (Monday after Thanksgiving). Email is preferred.